Saturday, December 24, 2011

Doggie Christmas Cookies


We can't forget our furry friends during this holiday season. After making our family's traditional decorated sugar cookies, I stumbled upon a bone shaped cookie cutter among the many holiday ones I had just used. It sparked an idea with me. Everyone in my family had a dog and what fun it would be to make doggie treats for all the dogs of the family. So that's just what I did. I have to admit I was almost willing to taste one to make sure they were ok, but my little pup (not really little or a puppy) proved just how good they were. I had them laying out to cool and he sat patiently underneath them guarding them to make sure they didn't move. Believe me he gave me quite the puppy eyes begging for more!! Therefore, I must say these are super easy and dog approved!

Photobucket
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (quick cooking or regular)
1/3 cup margarine
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 beef or chicken stock cube
1/4 teaspoon basil
1 cup peanut butter
1 egg
2 cups whole wheat flour


Photobucket
Preheat oven to 330°F. In a large sized bowel mix rolled oats, margarine, boiling water and stock cube, and basil. After thorougly mixed let it stand for at least 10 minutes. Next stir in peanut butter and egg. Mix in flour until a soft dough is formed.
Next knead dough on a slightly floured surface. Roll out dough to roughly 5 mm thickness. If you decide to make thinner (better for puppy size) or thicker (for a big, thick bone) just realize cooking time will vary. Cut with a cookie cutter or cut with a knife into pieces and place on cookie baking sheets. With my bone shaped cookie cutter I made roughly 60 cookies. Bake 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Cool before serving.

Hope you enjoy these dog treats! I know your dog sure will! Happy Holidays!!
Photobucket






2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. well thank you so much!! they were so simple to make and my dog's just loved them, i swear it was his favorite treat!!

      Delete